On the episode of UCYP, Mary Willson joins Megan + Tim for a conversation on the changing landscape of media + journalism, elevating the community voice and hard work.
- Innovation in digital media news through content curation: personalized media made for the busy person
- Need for media to be collaborative, to elevate the community voice through creating conversation
- Importance of media being unbiased and objective
- The changing landscape of media + journalism
- Still great value in longform journalism in print + digital media, including podcasts
- Opinion pieces in media to start a conversation towards change
- Finding balance in differing generational approaches to journalism
- Accessibility to resources is so much greater now, but there are still “analog” skills and experiences that add incredible value
- Challenge of not losing oneself (identity + individuality) in an overly-connected world +culture of consumption
- Many younger YPs have never known true boredom due to easy accessibility to technology – i.e. social media, smart phones, etc.
- Maintaining quality listening in a rapid-fire, sound-byte world
- When you contribute, lead with quality + authenticity, not ego
- Be intentional as you build your personal brand on social
- Know your passion and put in the necessary hard work to align your career and purpose
- Discovering your identity, setting goals, staying humble and mentoring others
Guest Bio – Mary Willson was on the founding team of GVLtoday, and has served as a producer and engagement editor. She’s launching AVLtoday in February 2018, and is excited to bring innovative media to Asheville. She moved to Greenville in April 2016 after graduating from Colorado State University in 2015 with a degree in communication studies and sociology. Before moving, she worked as a digital producer for the Fort Collins Coloradoan (part of the USAtoday network), working with social media strategy and multimedia projects. Before that, she worked as a freelance music writer, hosted a radio show, and interned at a local NPR station, an alt. weekly, and a handful of non-profits. She is in Leadership Greenville class of 44 and volunteers at Greenville Literacy Association.
Connect with Mary
- LinkedIn –/in/marywillson/
- Website – AVLToday
- Facebook – Facebook.com/mary.diane.5
- Twitter – @mary_willson
- Instagram – @mar_willson
INTRO AND OUTRO MUSIC (Used by permission):