In this episode, Tim shares with you questions he read in one of his favorite books written by his life-long mentor, John C. Maxwell, Developing the Leader Within You 2.0. The questions were incorporated into the book from an article written by Gary Hamel, a management consultant and founder of Strategos. These questions are helpful to anyone desiring a healthy character and are willing to go through the process of self-examination. As John writes in the book, “Questions like these heighten my awareness of the need to keep improving my character, especially in the context of leadership, because the heightened influence of leaders magnifies their impact on others—both positively and negatively.”
To what extent do I …
- Feel superior to those who work for me?
- Demonstrate imbalance between work and other areas of my life?
- Substitute formality for true human intimacy?
- Rely too much on plans and not enough on intuition and improvisation?
- Spend too little time breaking silos and building bridges?
- Fail to regularly acknowledge the debt I owe to my mentors and to others?
- Take too much satisfaction in my perks and privileges?
- Isolate myself from customers and first-level employees?
- Denigrate the motives and accomplishments of others?
- Exhibit or encourage undue deference and servility?
- Put my own success ahead of the success of others?
- Fail to cultivate a fun and joy-filled work environment?
- Exhibit selfishness when it comes to sharing rewards and praise?
- Encourage parochialism rather than community?
- Behave in ways that seem egocentric to those around me?
Developing the Leader Within You 2.0 by John C. Maxwell
Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
INTRO AND OUTRO MUSIC (Used by permission):
Continuation Vibe – Written, arranged and performed by Luke Pecoraro (© 2018 LSP Music)
Uphill Conversations is an Uphill Strategies, LLC production © 2017 Uphill Conversations